Translate

18 August, 2014

Here We Go Again-- Next Stop: Padova

So as you all could have probably imagined, my previous experience in Trani affected my life so much that i'm at it again, only this time through my college (yes, i'm actually in school at Boston University) and this time living in Veneto, instead of Puglia. I will study in Padova, a beautiful ancient city about 20 miles inland from Venezia in the north of Italy on the Adriatic Sea coast.
 Boston University offers so many foreign exchange programs, and lucky for me (and all the other Italo-language/life-obsessed university students) one of them happens to be the Italian Studies Program centered in Padova. I am about to embark on a year-abroad. Starting next monday, the 25th, I'll be on my way. This is an academic program so i'll be enrolled in 4 courses per semester (of which there are two), for a total of 32 credits at the end of this coming academic year. Boston University has an academic center in Padova, staffed by italian professors and coordinators, where students take either all or most of their classes. For those of us who are slightly more competent in the Italian Language, the option of enrolling in a class or two per semester at l'Universita degli studi di Padova arises. these classes are pretty difficult, or so i've heard, and will require serious dedication. And so, Im planning to take one course there in the fall and, depending on how it goes, two in the spring. I've declared a major at BU, Italian Studies, and so mostly all of the courses that i'll take abroad will apply towards my degree.
  Again I will live with a host family, who i will discuss in great detail after we meet--later next week! I just can't believe its all happening so soon! (sneak peak though, they have two kitties and two dogs, all girls!)
 Im ridiculously excited to embark on this adventure, to see how it is different now that i'm a little older and more matured in many ways, to see how different things have an impact on me than the things that impacted me before. My main focus this time is language: i've become obsessed with the human potential for language learning. i started dappling in french this year and i love it--there is no better feeling (in my opinion) than speaking other languages. my aspiration is to learn and master as many as possible, because i believe that in order to appreciate another culture the most important crucial skill is that of communication. I believe in my heart that it shows so much respect and a certain worldly value to learn a language other than one's mother tongue. Another focus is travel--this program is much less strict than AFS intercultura was, especially in regards to rules on travel. Im planning to travel as much as seems reasonable.
 Fortunately this go-around, the wonderful BU study abroad office dealt with all the visa shenanigans and so the stress of going down to the consulate and applying for a study visa was almost enitrely removed from the equation. The program manager at BU study abroad, Mary Ogburn is really amazing and all the staff are very helpful and supportive.
  All there is left to do is pack , organize and say goodbye to all the people and things in my life here in San Luis Obispo, CA, and get on that evening flight out of our little small-scale airport. it seems unreal, and i have a feeling i should be stressed and nervous--but thank god, i'm not in the slightest. I'm eager, proud, and longing for experience, for the cultural overwhelm, and to be in a historically rich, magnificent city where I get to finally hear italian everywhere i go again.
  I thought it would be interesting to keep this blog going, and there's a good chance i will keep it going for quite a while, as my twirls around the world are far from waining.  If it works out, I'm planning to write about once or twice a month whenever time allows.
 Here's hoping that my journeys can serve as inspiration for all those aspiring travelers out there, or can give the final push to just do it. I wanted to give a huge plug for AFS Intercultural programs though, because without them and without my highschool study abroad experience, I don't know if i would have found this passion of mine.
  May this passion within me awaken or stir the passion within you-- journey on.

No comments:

Post a Comment